Monday, January 30, 2012

Book Review: The Gospel Story Bible by Marty Machowski

I wish I had The Gospel Story Bible when my children were younger. This book is helpful for those parents who want to give their children (and themselves!) a rich reading experience of the stories of God's holy plan of redemption found in the pages of Scripture.

When you read through this book, you will find the accounts of all the major characters of the Bible, including Daniel, Job, Samuel, etc. Each story is only one to two pages long, ideal for young (i.e., short!) attention spans. This book would be great to use for family devotions as well as individual reading pleasure.

The illustrations are vivid and the page backgrounds are comprised of different colors, making it visually appealing to children.

I think the only thing I do not like about this book is that they used the word "Bible" in the title, making it confusing for consumers to understand what this book actually is. It is not a Bible, but a book of Bible stories. The entire text of the Bible is not contained in this book. But that is a minor thing, and can be overlooked.

Over all, I really like this book of biblical stories. They follow the text of the Bible without commentary (which I think is important for young children to learn the truth of God's Word). And best of all, the gospel is mentioned in every one! What a way for the author to tie it all together.

I give The Gospel Story Bible 5 out of 5 stars!

No comments: