Friday, May 7, 2010

Book Review: Pearl of China by Anchee Min

The Good Earth (Enriched Classics)I remember reading The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck when I was in school. I don't recall very much about it except a scene where a pregnant peasant woman was working in the fields when she went into labor. Instead of calling a doctor, she simply gave birth and resumed her work. I couldn't believe that anyone could do that. I mean, no hospital, no drugs, nothing? I was amazed at the hardiness of the Chinese about whom Buck wrote. I have since then intended to read more of her books, but it just hasn't happened.

So, when I heard about Pearl of China, which is a biographical novel of Pearl Buck's life, I was intrigued. Then I saw this video and decided I had to read it:

   




Pearl of China: A NovelI thought it was interesting how the author wanted to write a book about Pearl Buck through a Chinese person's perspective. Mrs. Buck has not always been a heroine in China. She had to return to America when civil war broke out. It was after that time that she began writing her novels about life among the Chinese peasants from firsthand observations. I did not realize that Pearl is now revered in China.

I like how the author wrote about Pearl's life in China, not just about her books. I enjoyed seeing through Willow's eyes the trials she endured and her love for the Chinese people and culture. And it seemed to be a realistic look at the life of Pearl and her family as missionaries in a foreign country (not romanicized).

Although I felt the pace was too slow in some places, I give this book 4 out of 5 stars.


1 comment:

Unknown said...

I have a copy of The Good Earth in my to read stack. This review kind of gets me wanting to read it and then jump over to her life.

Thanks!
Laura