Wednesday, August 31, 2011

FIRST Wild Card Tour: Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heart by Elizabeth George

I have read several books by Elizabeth George and can say that she is an excellent Christian author. Her book entitled A Woman After God's Own Heart is one I have recommended to many women. My daughter read it for a class for young women last year and she says it is now one of her favorite non-fiction books.

I knew I was getting a good book when I saw Mrs. George's name. She writes with a style that sounds just like a loving mother or friend. I can tell that she really loves what she does and cares about the women she is writing to.

Raising a Daughter After God's Own HeartRaising a Daughter After God's Own Heart is a much needed book for mothers today. It contains much practical, biblical help for raising a daughter to love God and follow Him wholeheartedly. The stories Elizabeth uses to illustrate the truths of God's word are interesting and helpful. I can see several places in the book where I need to work on some things in my life as I train my daughter to do the same. But I do no despair, because I have someone like Mrs. George to show me how.

The author show us mothers that we have several roles in our daughters' lives: cheerleader, coach, shepherd, teacher, social secretary, homebuilder, prayer warrior, and marathon runner. She explains each of these roles and gives wise guidance on what we can do to fulfill those roles.

At the end of each chapter is a section called "Mom's Think Pad" where Elizabeth gives us questions to help us think through what we have just read. This is where the book becomes very practical. As you answer the questions you begin to see the areas in which you need to work in order to bring your life more in line with Scripture.

I heartily recommend Raising a Daughter After God's Own Heart. I give it 5 out of 5 stars! 

No comments: