Thursday, March 11, 2010

Weekly Geeks: Why I Love Jodi Picoult

The subject of this week's Weekly Geeks is favorite authors. Who is/are your favorite author(s) and why?

I LOVE Jodi Picoult. Why? (You mean, besides her beautiful red hair? smileys (66))

Well, to begin with, her books are stimulating, thought-provoking and extremely entertaining! She writes about current issues in a way that invites discussion as well as meditation on what we believe and why we believe it. Her books contain convincing characters whom you just want to empathize with, even if you may not agree with what they are doing. She takes themes that are relevant to our lives today and makes them a little easier to understand.

Plain TruthMy favorite Picoult book so far is Plain Truth. It is a story of an Amish girl who has to make hard choices and finds herself in the middle of a struggle for truth and belonging in a culture misunderstood by many in our world today. It had me practically holding my breath from beginning to end. You can read more about Plain Truth here (WARNING: spoilers included), or click on book image for the description on Amazon.

I have read all but two of Picoult's books. I have enjoyed all of them. I have not always liked how they have ended, but because of her great skill as an author, Picoult makes them all exciting and inspiring.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've never read her books, but I just found in my files a story she wrote for Seventeen magazine years and years ago. I kept it because I loved it so much. It's about a girl who is upset over breaking up with her boyfriend and decides to count the tiles in the mall floor. I really should pick up one of her books!

Wendy