Monday, June 28, 2010

"You May Have Missed" Mondays



Ok, it's Monday and time for another post about "books you may have missed". This is where I write about books published before 2009 that you may not know about. I hope this will help you find some older books to read and add to your TBR list.

I recently decided to add some series to my books at home. These series are ones I have read and enjoyed over the years, and I'd like for my children and grandchildren to know about them and have access to them. I think it would be great to pass these along to them as they get older. I'm going to make a list and be on the lookout for them so I can purchase them for my shelves.

One trilogy I have read that I would recommend is by Randy Alcorn. The first one is Deadline, the second is entitled Dominion, and the third is Deception. These are thrillers written by an extremely talented man. Another book he wrote is called Safely Home, a novel about Christian persecution in China. Also wonderful, it made me cry.

Deadline (Ollie Chandler, Book 1)     Dominion (Ollie Chandler, Book 2)     Deception [DECEPTION]              

Safely Home
Another favorite author and series is Stephen Bly's Code of the West series. Funny, funny, funny! Mr. Bly's books are westerns, which I normally shy away from, but these are so good that I do not hesitate to recommend them. He has such a unique way of writing that is quite entertaining! These are out of print, but you could probably find them in a library, or they can be ordered from Amazon.





Brock and Bodie Thoene (pronounced "taynee") have written the Zion Covenant series:

Vienna Prelude (Zion Covenant, Book 1)     Prague Counterpoint (Zion Covenant, Book 2)     Munich Signature (Zion Covenant)     Jerusalem Interlude (Zion Covenant, Book 4)     Danzig Passage (Zion Covenant, Book 5)     Warsaw Requiem (Zion Covenant)    London Refrain (Zion Covenant)     Paris Encore (Zion Covenant Book 8)     Dunkirk Crescendo (Zion Covenant)

and the Zion Chronicles:

The Gates of Zion (Zion Chronicles) (Bk. 1)     A Daughter of Zion (Zion Chronicles)     The Return to Zion (Zion Chronicles)     A Light in Zion (Zion Chronicles)     The Key to Zion (Zion Chronicles)

I like reading books with settings during and after World War II. I am fascinated by what occurred in the lives of people while this war was raging. A lot of the main characters in these books are Jewish, so I learned a lot about the Jews and their culture while reading these books. You can find out more about the Thoenes and their books by clicking on their names above.

Have you read any of these? Have you written a review of a book published before 2009? Please share!

   

1 comment:

Carrie said...

ah! =D We JUST bought Alcorn's Deception. Haven't read it yet but am looking forward to it because that IS an awesome series!

And, true confessions...I've never read Thoene.