Sunday, September 26, 2010

Books Recommended By Others

Everywhere I go, whether it is work, or church, or just out running errands, I look to see what other people are reading. I often look at the book cover when I see someone reading and I will ask them to tell me if it is a good book. At the library where I work, I ask the patrons or my coworkers: "What have you been reading?" or "Have you read any good books lately?" I get some good responses and sometimes, an excellent recommendation for a book that I wind up reading just because someone told me about it.

That's what I want this blog to be for you: a place where you can come and get good suggestions for books that you might otherwise not hear about. I want you to feel free to share your recommendations as well.

Recently, I had a giveaway on this blog as a part of Blogmania. I asked the commenters to tell me what was their favorite book of 2010. I have compiled the results and want to share them with you.

Since the list is really long, I made a separate page for it. So, if you are interested, just click on the tab on the top of the blog that says "Books Recommended by Others".

Remember, this is a list from people who have come to my blog, not a list I have written myself. So, there is quite an eclectic mix of titles on the list. I DO NOT recommend them all to you. However, since I understand that we all have different tastes in reading material, I thought we would all benefit from this list.

Here are the ones I will probably be adding to my TBR:

Firefly Lane - Kristen Hannah
Fireworks Over Toccoa - Jeffrey Stepakoff
The Island - Ellen Hilderbrand
The Last Child - John Hart
A Maze of Grace - Trish Ryan
The Red Tent - Anita Diamant
Room - Emma Donoghue
Sarah’s Garden: A Patch of Heaven - Kelly Long
Shanghai Girls - Lisa See
She Walks in Beauty - Siri Mitchell
She’s Gone Country - Jane Porter
The Silent Governess - Julie Klassen

Think of a Number - John Verdon
The Weed That Strings the Hangman’s Bag - Alan Bradley
Winter Garden - Kristen Hannah

Are there any of these you have read that you didn't like? Tell me, please!

What do you think? Have you read any of the books on the list (I have read 18 of them)? If so, which ones did you like? Leave a comment!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Shanghai Girls by Lisa See is such a good book! You're going to LOVE it! :)