Saturday, November 27, 2010

Helping People Change

I hope I haven't lost readers because of my neglect of this blog lately. I've had trouble with getting internet access. So, until I get this straightened out, I'll have to stop promising so much and just do what I can and when I can.

Today, I want to share with you some great resources I have discovered lately for people who want to help others in their quest for change. These are Christian authors who have helped me on the road to change and in my efforts at learning how to help others in the counseling process. I hope you find a few you may want to read in order to help yourself and the people with whom you come into contact.

How People Change1. How People Change by Tim Lane and Paul David Tripp - If you want just one book on the whole idea of how to make a change in your life or how to help others change, this would be the one. It has sound, biblical teaching on why we do what we do and how we must go about growing and maturing in Christ.






Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands: People in Need of Change Helping People in Need of Change (Resources for Changing Lives)2. Instruments in the Redeemer's Hands - This book is probably the one in which I have highlighted the most text. I think it has been the most instrumental in my life to make me want to help others in their walk with God. I am now seeking to learn more in order to counsel others in God's Word. I recommend it to anyone who wants to know more about counseling other people biblically. 





A Theology of Christian Counseling: More Than Redemption3. A Theology of Christian Counseling: More Than Redemption by Jay Adams - This was part of the required reading I have done for a counseling class I am in right now. It, too, has a lot of highlighted parts and, although it was a little slower reading than some others I have read, it is packed with so much wisdom. It should be an essential part of every biblical counselor's bookshelf.   





Blame It on the Brain?: Distinguishing Chemical Imbalances, Brain Disorders, and Disobedience (Resources for Changing Lives)4. Blame It On the Brain? by Ed Welch - I have just a few more chapters to go on this one for my class. If you have wondered about what causes people to do sinful things, whether it be the brain or our corrupt hearts, then you may be fascinated with this book, as I have been. The author explains how there are some disorders that may be caused by brain dysfunctions and some that are not. He says, "Sometimes it is legitimate to blame our misbehaviors on the brain, and sometimes it isn't. How can we know?" He attempts to answer this question in this book.



Along the way in my search for understanding the human condition and how we can change, I have come across other books that I have not yet read, but they are now on my TBR list. Since these have been recommended to me by reliable sources, I am confident in sharing them with you:

          Totally Sufficient     Peacemaking Women: Biblical Hope for Resolving Conflict     What Did You Expect?: Redeeming the Realities of Marriage

         Maximum Impact: Living and Loving for God's Glory    Running Scared: Fear, Worry & the God of Rest      Christ Formed in You: The Power of the Gospel for Personal Change

         Relationships: A Mess Worth Making    Gospel-Powered Parenting: How the Gospel Shapes and Transforms Parenting      Marriage Matters: Extraordinary Change Through Ordinary Moments     

I hope you find some great new resources from this list. Let me know if you read any of these. I'd like to hear how you like/don't like them.

Happy reading!
      

1 comment:

A Woman that Fears the Lord said...

I have a lot of these books but you've listed a few that I have not heard of. I've added them to my Amazon 'wish list'. :-) I'm currently reading Jay Adam's book, Theology of Christian Counseling. I'm loving it!