Tuesday, January 12, 2010

10 Million Words in One Year?

Tim Challies, you have made my mouth drop. Are you really trying to read 10 million words (give or take) in one year? Will you be reading other books as well? I mean, what if someone like John Piper or Michael Horton writes a new book this year - will you put it aside and read only what is on the New York Times bestseller list? Surely not! Tim, you must be able to read in your sleep!

Actually, I am impressed and challenged by this project. You said that you wanted to read these books because "America’s bestselling books tell us, I’m sure, who America is, who her people are, at this time and place. Surely they will give me a glimpse into the world’s most powerful, the world’s most fascinating nation." I think you are right. Sometimes we isolate ourselves so much in our reading. When we limit ourselves to only one or two genres, we tend to forget there's a whole other world out there. We begin to think that other people read what we do because surely we read the best! Why would anyone want to read anything else?

The answer is: because people are different. And we all have different beliefs and interests. What a boring world we would live in if we were all the same. There could be no debate or much discussion because we would just all agree on everything. Some people may think that would be nice, but not me. I like good, rousing conversations where everyone is allowed to express their thoughts on a given subject. I learn so much from others that way.

So, Tim, I think I will be joining you in your project. Well, sort of. I'm not going to read all the bestsellers. Just the #1 bestsellers. I'm thinking that will be only 30-40 books in one year. That will be enough of a challenge for me, considering I will be reading other books as well. I would also like to see more of how others think by reading what "everyone else" is reading. Maybe I will begin to be more understanding of others by the end of the year as a result.

Tim, I wish you well as you read this year. May we both grow and learn much. And, if by some small miracle you happen to actually read this, tell me: can I have your autograph? :)

No comments: