Friday, February 12, 2010

Book Review: Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God by Sheila Walsh


I remember watching Sheila Walsh on the 700 Club many years ago. She and Pat Robertson made a great team as they presented the news and stories of people who had encountered God.

What I didn't know is that since then Sheila has battled depression, spending a month in a hospital and much time afterwards learning how to trust God. This book describes her journey and how you, too, can enjoy a relationship with God that involves letting go of your fears and failures and leaning on Him.

Beautiful Things Happen When a Woman Trusts God
Trust is not an easy thing to do, but Sheila shows us from the Bible how it can be done. She shares stories of several people such as Abraham, Joseph, and Gideon who, like Mrs. Walsh, struggled with trust and in the end relied on God to strengthen and save them from themselves and from the crippling anxieties that are common to all of us.

I think this book would be helpful for anyone who finds themself wondering if they can truly trust God in spite of their circumstances. It is a book of hope for the broken.

Some of my favorite quotes from the book:

(Sheila's therapist) "Sheila, Jesus didn't come to get you out of the pain of life; he has come to live in you through it."

"I'm grateful that God is our Redeemer, and he will do what it takes to show us what's true."

"There are days to choose whom we will follow - how we will trust, no matter what the cost. Will we be like Thomas and say, 'I don't know where you're going, but I want to be where you are'? Will we trust enough to take a step farther, even if it's into darkness? Do we believe that trust is not easy, but certainly life-changing?" 

"There is something in us that wants to feel we bring something to the table when we come to faith but we don't. We come by faith, accepting what Christ has done for us. When we finally are able to grasp hold of that truth, it is the most liberated we will ever be." 

4 comments:

Shirley Ann said...

I have heard a lot of buzz about this book and I am very interested in reading it. I can't tell you why I haven't yet bought it, but I can't wait to now!

S

Bruce said...

Judylynn, thank you for this thoughtful review. You even selected one of our favorite metaphors in the novel. We three co-authors really appreciate your writing work, and we hope the story and its truths bring you much joy in your friendships. Facebook me and I'll give you some more info on Bo's Cafe, thank you again, Bruce

hopeinbrazil said...

I love the last quote!

Carrie said...

I saw this review pop up earlier in the weekend but I'm sitting down and playing a little catch up now. =) The title of this book definitely caught my eye. I hadn't heard of it's release. I had a friend who absolutely loved Sheila Walsh growing up so I'm familiar with her music. My favorite quote that you shared was as follows:

(Sheila's therapist) "Sheila, Jesus didn't come to get you out of the pain of life; he has come to live in you through it."

AMEN to that!