Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Book Review: Though Waters Roar by Lynn Austin

Lynn Austin has always been a favorite of mine. Her characters are believable as well as likeable. The plots are well established and interesting. She often writes with historical settings which come alive to the reader.

This book was no exception. The plot grabbed me from the start as we find the main character in a difficult situation: Harriet is in jail for running illegal liquor. What brought her to this place is what the book is all about.

Though Waters RoarI enjoyed reading about Harriet, her great-grandmother Hannah, her grandmother Bebe, and her mother, Lucy. The men in her life are also interesting and their lives fascinating. Mrs. Austin makes them come alive as she describes life from the Civil War to the early 1900's.

This is no "life on the prairie" novel. Instead, it is a look at the lives of men and women who lived (and died) for what they believed in and  a look at their struggles along the way. It is also about choices and changes that people go through as they wrestle with what is right and wrong.

I recommend this book for anyone who likes a good historical novel with happy (and not so happy) endings. This one will make you think, and it will make you grateful for all the blessings in your life.

4 comments:

Carrie said...

I just read this one recently and reviewed it over at 5 Minutes for Books.

I have a slightly dissenting opinion, although I don't mind Austin so very much. She just harps on about women's rights to the point of distraction at times which makes it harder for me to enjoy her works in quick succession.

She's an interesting author and her books are interesting ones to think about. She can just be repetitive is all.

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

I do enjoy a good historical novel. Sounds good!

Emily M. Akin said...

Judy, thanks for your comment on my blog. Austin is one of my favorite authors, too.

In response to Carrie, I understand your point. Austin's heroines almost always are ahead of their time in their thinking about the role of women in family, society, etc. I think she does a service by reminding us that there have always been heroic women, and we can learn from their courage.

Renee (BlacknGoldGirlsBookSpot) said...

I absolutely loved this one, I'm glad you did too!

XOXO~ Renee