Monday, February 15, 2010

What's Your Favorite Short Story?

I have a new project going on here at Seize the Book (I will be announcing it next week, so please come back), and I need your help.

I would like for you to tell me what your favorite short story is (or one that you really like). I would like to read more short stories, so I would like some suggestions. Here are a few that I came up with:

The Last Leaf - O. Henry
The Lottery - Shirley Jackson
A Rose For Emily - William Faulkner
The Death of Ivan Ilyich - Leo Tolstoy
The Ransom of Red Chief - O. Henry

And I also thought about these authors who wrote short stories, but I'm not familiar with particular titles that they wrote:

Charles Dickens, Arthur Conan Doyle, James Joyce, W. Somerset Maugham, Edgar Allen Poe, H.P. Lovecraft, Mark Twain

Do you know any stories from these authors that you like?

Also, when I Googled "favorite short stories", I found these:

Hills Like White Elephants - Ernest Hemingway
The Lady With the Pet Dog - Joyce Carol Oates
The Secret Sharer - Joseph Conrad
The Guilded Six Bit - Zora Neale Hurston
An Occurence at Owl Creek Bridge - Ambrose Bierce
There Will Come Soft Rains - By Ray Bradbury
To Build a Fire - Jack London
The Story of an Hour - Kate Chopin
The Open Boat - Stephen Crane
A Boy and His Dog - Harlan Ellison
The Library Police - Stephen King
A Doll's House by Henrik Ibsen

Have you read any of these? Did you like it?

One more thing, I am not interested (for this project) in any Disney, fairy tales/fables or stories from children's books.

The story can be humorous, sad, scary, weird, etc. And you can suggest more than one.

Please help me by leaving a comment. Thanks!

8 comments:

Sarah at SmallWorld said...

One of my favorite classes in college was Short Story. My recommendation would be to go to your local library ;-) and get an anthology of Best Short Stories.

One of my very favorites is "For Esme, with Love and Squalor" by JD Salinger. Oh, and all the stories of John Cheever and F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Sherry said...

Edgar Allan Poe: The Cask of Amontillado, The Tell-Tale Heart, The Purloined Letter

I don't usually read short stories. They make feel cheated, as if I've just gotten started and then the trip is over. However, there are a few others that I like. I'll try to remember and get back to you.

Anonymous said...

The Gift of the Magi by OHenry. It serves as a meaningful wedding present too.

Dana said...

I was going to suggest Gift of the Magi, but I see that's already been suggested. O. Henry in general is great for short stories. You might also try Roald Dahl - he wrote short story books for adults, I believe. I absolutely love A rose for Emily as well. I wouldn't consider A Doll's House a short story (it's a play, isn't it?), but it's also very good.

Dancingirl said...

Three from off the top of my head and if I think of others I'll be back to post them:

Chekhov's "On the Road"

Two by Eudora Welty: "Why I Live at the P.O" (Careful! 1st person narrator!)

" A Worn Path"

Suzanne said...

Several of my favorites have already been mentioned: "The Tell Tale Heart," "Why I Live at the PO," "A Rose for Emily," and "The Gift of the Magi."

Other recommendations I have are: "Young Goodman Brown," by Nathaniel Hawthorne; "The Quiet Man," by Maurice Walsh (the story John Wayne's movie of the same name is based on); "The Necklace" by Guy De Maupassant; and "The Monkey's Paw," by W.W. Jacobs.

Sherry said...

The Devil and Daniel Webster by Benet
he Celebrated Jumping Frog of Calaveras County by Mark Twain
The Secret Life of Walter Mitty by James Thurber

Shirley Ann said...

I agree with the comment submitting Nathaniel Hawthorne's "Young Goodman Brown." That has been a favorite of mine for many years. I am also a great fan of F. Scott Fitzgerald.