Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Book Review: Brava, Valentine by Adriana Trigiani

Last year in February, our library had an adult reading club, which I joined. One of the books I read was Very Valentine by Adriana Trigiani. Since I had enjoyed Trigiani's Big Stone Gap books, I thought I would give her new book a try. I have to admit that Very Valentine wasn't as good as I hoped. Although the writing was excellent and her characters funny and engaging, it just wasn't what I had come to expect from this writer.

When I heard a new Valentine book was coming out, I had mixed feelings. Would this one disappoint as well? Should I give Trigiani one more try?

Brava, Valentine: A NovelObviously, I did try again. And, I must say, she redeemed herself for me with Brava, Valentine. With the exception of Gabriel, Valentine's gay friend, I found myself wanting to know the crazy, delightful characters who make their way through the pages of the book. I fell in love with Valentine's disfunctional family. And what can I say about Valentine's love, Gianluca? Wow, he really knows how to romance a woman!

Just as in the first Valentine book, the title character lives for herself and seems blind to the gifts given to her in her friends and family. Until the end of the book, where she comes to her senses and discovers the life she has been missing. I like how Trigiani shows the progression of Valentine's thoughts and the discoveries she makes about herself and others. By the end of the book, I was cheering her on and celebrating the life she had found.

I'm now looking forward to the next Valentine book. I recommend it to all hopeless romantics of this world.

No comments: